WELCOME TO ONE OF
L.A.'S BEST KEPT SECRETS
Join us for an In Person Joint Finance and General Board Meeting
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 13TH, at 6;30 PM at:Claude Pepper Senior Center1762 S. La Cienega Blvd.
Discussion and presentation a 24-story 290-unit, TOC mixed use complex located at 1050 La Cienega Case presented by Will Cipes, Carmel Partners.
CARTHAYS GAIN RECOGNITION
The California State Historical Resources Commission, which evaluates regional proposals for designation to the National Registry, unanimously voted to include the three Carthay neighborhoods.
The neighborhoods were approved for designation based on their example of extraordinary city planning, and that residences and buildings in the neighborhoods are architecturally significant. The Carthay neighborhoods include approximately 1,170 residences primarily built in the Spanish revival and period revival architectural styles, as well some constructed in the streamline modern style. Other characteristics of the communities include open medians and park spaces, wide streets and walking paths. Planning for the communities was based on the City Beautiful Movement, a concept that emerged in the late-1800s and early-1900s.
The Carthay Circle, Carthay Square and South Carthay neighborhoods were developed between 1922 and approximately 1955. Carthay Circle was the first tract developed, extending between Wilshire Boulevard to the north, Olympic Boulevard to the south, Fairfax Avenue to the east and the Beverly Hills border to the west. Real estate developer J. Harvey McCarthy, who was originally from San Diego, created the neighborhood with the idea of having homes within walking distance of amenities like grocery stores, places for entertainment and businesses on Wilshire Boulevard. The name Carthay was a play on McCarthy, an effort to make the area sound prominent.
The centerpiece for the neighborhood was the Carthay Circle Theatre, which was located at 6316 San Vicente Blvd. from 1926 until 1969, when it was demolished to make way for an office building. “The Wizard of Oz” premiered at the Carthay Circle Theatre in 1939. The theater’s auditorium was round, and McCarthy used the concept for the name of the new community – Carthay Circle. A small greenspace called Carthay Circle Park was created at the intersection of McCarthy Vista and San Vicente Boulevard.